I get that it is just a movie, and some of the scenes may have been embellished for entertainment purposes. However, I am guessing that his attitude toward himself and others, and his overall intensity, was pretty accurate as it was responsible for the failures and successes of Apple throughout the years.
Steve Jobs died in 2001 of cancer, at the young age of 56. He was first diagnosed in 2003 and his health declined from there.
After watching the movie, I instantly thought, “Steve was his own cancer”. He was so emotionally intense, and I couldn’t help but think that his harbored feelings of anger and resentment, and his disregard of how he treated others, were responsible for his demise. (And before anyone sends me hate mail, I am not insinuating that people are “punished” by any higher entity for the way they are or how they treat others. This post has a different purpose.)
A quick recap of the movie:
- He had a daughter that he refused to acknowledge at first because it wasn’t convenient. He discarded his pregnant girlfriend.
- He screwed over many of the “friends” who started Apple with him in the garage of his parents house, and denied them stock options.
- He was very rude to others, not caring about their feelings or position. (Even in business, there is a way to manage employees and colleagues without being an a**hole.)
- He was so self-centered that he alienated everyone around him. I am guessing underneath the anger and resentment laid a whole mess of loneliness.
- His attitude and perfectionism got him ousted from being involved in his own company, of which revenge then became a driving force.
What happens when your body is full of negative energy? There is enough scientific evidence that shows that emotional and mental health can indeed manifest disease, just as a positive mindset can help reverse disease.
Plus, there are energetic meanings behind disease and symptoms; the Chinese have been studying this for tens of thousands of years. Our Western “medicine” practices are fairly young, you are talking about 100 years in comparison.
Steve Jobs’s cancer manifested in his pancreas, and he underwent a liver transplant as part of his treatment. According to Chinese medicine, the liver holds anger and resentment. The pancreas and spleen are related to excessive concern, perfectionism, and the intellect. Any coincidence that these parts of his body finally broke down or were affected?
For me personally, disease showed up in my reproductive system, after years of feeling like something was wrong with me for not really wanting to have kids.
Take a moment to think about what’s going on in your body.
- Are you expressing your emotions in a healthy way?
- Are you living in alignment with your core values, and being a positive, contributing member of society?
- If you are struggling with illness or physical pain, what could it symbolize for you?
- If you could give your pain or illness an emotion, what would it be?
Do some reflection this week, and start to bridge the connection between your emotional and physical health.