My mornings used to look like this…
- Wake up via alarm an hour before departure time.
- Jump in shower.
- Dress, dry hair.
- Go to kitchen and pour myself a bowl of cereal.
- Give myself 10 minutes to eat said cereal while watching the Today Show.
- Brush my teeth.
- Run out the door to work.
This system was in place when I was still eating the standard American diet, and way before I realized that my monkey mind was really in control of my being. This routine (and yes, many other things as well), led to physical illness, worry, stress, questioning my life’s purpose, and looking for answers everywhere else but within.
I knew there had to be a better way.
I started with just adding 5 minutes of meditation to my morning routine. It was often a hard 5 minutes, as my mind wouldn’t shut up, but I stuck to it. I then realized I felt a bit calmer, so I added some affirmations after the meditation. I next learned about Tapping (EFT) and thought morning would be a good time to tap on anything that came up. So I added that. And after several podcasts later that ironically brought up the topic of morning routines, I finally got the message.
I now term it my morning RITUAL, because a ritual has symbolism, meaning, and energy. This ritual centers me, connects me to my spirit, and gives me joy and purpose. I actually find myself waking up before my alarm goes off most days, in anticipation of being able to settle in to my practice.
My mornings now look like this…
(Note, I allow myself an extra 30 minutes for this “me” time.)
- Wake up, maybe via alarm, maybe not, and drink a warm glass of water with lemon (good for the liver).
- Go into my sitting room and do my meridian stretches – you can find an old blog post about this here: https://www.soulwisdomlore.com/discover-1-secret-to-improved-focus-and-concentration
- Set my iPad for 10 minutes of meditation.
- Do 10 minutes of affirmations, Tapping, and/or drawing an Oracle card for myself.
- Spend about 5 minutes of visualizing and setting my intentions for the day.
- If I have extra time because I am up before my alarm, I will read a chapter from my current inspirational book.
- Then I return to my routine of eating (though no more cereal), shower, dress, etc. (Or on Mondays and Fridays I attend a 7am yoga class, then resume my routine.)
Here’s how my morning ritual changed my world:
- I begin the day feeling centered and calm.
- I am confident in knowing what actions I need to take for that day.
- I know my life’s purpose and can find my own answers to whatever comes up.
- I can feel the energy move freely through my body.
- I am more productive.
- I feel/am healthier.
Those 6 points alone are the reason why YOU need a morning ritual.
How you want to start the day. How do you want to feel? What is ONE thing you can do different to get there?
And let me know what you are going to start doing!